1. The hero is introduced in an ordinary setting, living out his ordinary life.
2. The hero receives a call to arms.
3. The hero expresses reluctance to forsake comfort and leave on his quest.
4. The hero gets a little help from his friends.
5. The hero is now prepared to move from the ordinary to the extraordinary.
6. The tests and trials begin!
7. The hero hits rock bottom, often in the form of a near death experience.
8. The hero retrieves the sword/treasure and continues his quest.
9. The journey home, often the chase scene.
10. The hero returns and is integrated into his society, with new implements to improve his life and others.
I know it’s not in perfect order, luckily it doesn’t have to be. I’d make the argument that Cameron Frye is the true hero of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off and by far the most dynamic character in the film.